When you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:The Economy
• Spend $100 at a local and $68 of that stays in your community. Spend the same $100 at a national chain, and your community only sees $43.
• Local businesses create higher-paying jobs for our neighbors.
• More of your taxes are reinvested in your community–where they belong.aThe Environment
• Buying local means less packaging, less transportation, and a smaller carbon footprint.
• Shopping in a local business district means less infrastructure, less maintenance, and more money to beautify your community.asThe Community
• Local retailers are your friends and neighbors—support them and they’ll support you.
• Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of national chains.
• More independents mean more choice, more diversity, and a truly unique community.as There are more than 20 Independent Book Stores in Western Massachusetts. You can find them and also search for a store near you, here. You can learn more about IndieBound, an organization dedicated to supporting local businesses and celebrating independents here. a