- This event has passed.
Jump-Start a Story: A Sisters in Crime Workshop
March 13 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
The Surrealists used to pool their money and buy a one-way ticket to the furthest destination they could afford. They’d send one person off on an adventure and they’d have to make their way back somehow, and tell the others all about it when they returned. Along the way, they’d collect talismans that helped them navigate the dark places they encountered.
In this workshop, we’ll be sending each of you off on an adventure and when you get back, you’ll have the outline of a short story. We’ll begin by randomly selecting your destination. You’ll choose a souvenir and explore its significance to your character. Then we’ll do a brief tarot card reading to guide you along your way from the opening conflict to the resolution of your story.
Here’s how it works:
- Introduction to the exercise
- A screen share at the beginning for all participants that will allow them to select from among various situations (as depicted in movie stills), locations, and souvenir objects.
- Ten minutes of free writing in response to the question: who are you, where are you, and what does the object you brought back mean to you?
- Sending participants into one of three breakout rooms, each hosted by one of of the workshop leaders, where they will get a short tarot card reading to give them the essential aspects of their story arc.
- Reconvening as a group to share results.
Spaces are limited to 21 participants. Registration is required. To register email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a confirmation reply with a Zoom link.
Lisa Lieberman writes the Cara Walden series of historical mysteries based on old movies and featuring blacklisted Hollywood people on the lam in dangerous international locales. She is President of the New England chapter of Sisters in Crime.
Carolyn Marie Wilkins is an author, a musician and a psychic medium. She is the author of
three mystery novels: Death at a Séance, Melody for Murder and Mojo for Murder.
To find out more about Carolyn: www.carolynwilkins.com
Sharon Healy Yang is passionate about mysteries from the golden age, whether in a book or on the screen. Her series of Jessica Minton Mysteries include Bait and Switch and Letter from a Dead Man. The third entry, Always Play the Dark Horse, is forthcoming in 2021